[WSBARP] Can deed be recorded post-mortem?

Britt, Christopher christopher at lucentlaw.com
Mon Aug 21 13:04:14 PDT 2023

That's a wild ride.  I'm not sure that the transfer was ever effective as
there was no legal description on the deed.  From the moment that it was
executed, the conveyance would have been made but for the fact that it was
missing the legal description.  The description must be sufficiently
definite to locate the land without recourse to oral testimony, or it must
contain a reference to another instrument that contains a sufficient
description. This is necessary to meet the requirement of the statute of
frauds. There may be additional facts that can help.

Still, it seems as though you have the other avenue - taking it to probate
court.  That is what I would do in this case.

Christopher G. Britt, M.A., J.D.

Attorney at Law

1403 S. Grand Blvd., Suite 201-S

Spokane, WA 99203-2278

P: 509.455.3713
D: 509.316.2131
F: +1.509.455.3718 (must dial 1 before area code)

E: *christopher at lucentlaw.com <christopher at lucentlaw.com>*

Web: www.lucentlaw.com