[WSBARP] Use Tax (Transfer Tax on Business Equipment) Question

Gabriel Dietz gabe at hdpnw.com
Thu Apr 20 14:28:03 PDT 2023

Good Afternoon Hivemind:

I am working on a business sale involving company assets subject to use
tax. Both buyer and seller want the use tax paid at the time of closing. I
have read through DOR's forms and called DOR to confirm, and I am told that
the only way to pay use tax (on behalf of a buyer that is a business
entity) is through the buyer's next quarterly tax return to DOR. The
consumer use tax return form even says not to use the form for "[a]
registered business. Please report use tax on your tax return."

Nonetheless, the seller's broker insists that it can be paid at the time of
closing by another method to DOR but is unsure how. Does this make sense to
anyone? Is there a form that I'm missing? I'd love to give DOR their money
right away if there is a way to do that, but they say they don't want it
now. I know it's hard to believe.

Thank you in advance,

Gabriel A. Dietz

Partner

Hoerschelmann Dietz PLLC
p: (206) 451-3859

f: (206) 337-4506

*gabe at hdpnw.com <gabe at hdpnw.com>*

*www.hdpnw.com <http://www.hdpnw.com/>*

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication, including any attachments,
contains privileged or confidential information intended for a specific
individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you are not the
intended recipient, you should delete this communication and shred the
materials and any attachments. You are hereby notified that any use,
disclosure, copying, or distribution of this communication, or the taking
of any action in reliance on the contents of this information, is strictly
prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please
immediately notify me by email or telephone.