[WSBARP] NWMLS Form 35 now prohibits disclosure of inspection report???

Kary Krismer Krismer at comcast.net
Wed Sep 28 15:46:33 PDT 2022

The buyer already has the information in their inspection report, so
they don't need it.  The disclosure statement law has long provided that
the seller does not need to disclose information that they learn from
the buyer's inspection report--on that transaction, as opposed
subsequent transactions where they somehow learned of the inspection
results.

As to your hypothetical second buyer that did not do an inspection, that
is entirely their problem and a direct result of not having done an
inspection.  If their inspector missed it, that would definitely be a
different issue, but there the fault would possibly lie with the
inspector (assuming they are also a pest inspector, which few are these
days).

As to your Eaton v Strasburger case, that is California law.  I'd
suggest looking at 18.86.030(1)(d) and (2) for Washington law, as well
as reading Douglas v. Heller as well as Jackowski v. Borchelt.  But
simply put, there is nothing in Washington law that I'm aware of that
requires sellers or brokers to go looking for issues, and if they were
required to look at a buyer's inspection report that would be a huge
impediment to allowing the inspection in the first place (Ignoring the
protections fo Douglas v. Heller and Alejandre v. Bull given in allowing
inspections).

Finally, it's not so easy to just determine what in an inspection report
is material, immaterial or outright false, and legal liability could
result from making such a determination.

Kary L. Krismer
206 723-2148