[WSBARP] Creation of Joint tenants

sdonahue at sdonahuelaw.com sdonahue at sdonahuelaw.com
Fri Sep 9 14:29:17 PDT 2022

I just changed a property to a joint tenancy when the sole owner was an
unmarried man and he and his partner, an unmarried woman, wanted to own the
property as joint tenants. She had paid off the mortgage.  Nothing was owed
on the property, and the transfer was done as a gift.  He was the grantor
and both of them were the grantees using the language below.

Best language to create a joint tenancy is:

            "O to A and B as joint tenants, with right of survivorship, and
not as tenants in common."

According to the court in In re Estate of Magee, 55 Wn. App. 692, 780 P.2d
269 (199), when  a husband and wife attempt to change community property to
joint tenancy property, compliance with the terms of RCW 64.28.010 must be
clear.  See In re Olson's Estate, 87 Wn. 2d 855, 557 P.2d 302 (1976).

SUSAN DONAHUE

Law Office of Susan Donahue

125 West 2nd Avenue, Suite "B"

P.O. Box 81