[WSBARP] Recording a Deed with Two Excise Tax Exemptions

Eric Nelsen eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Fri Oct 28 09:45:18 PDT 2022

I do think that the member vs. transferable interest owner isn’t really that big a deal, and I’m sure there is a workaround. As I re-read my own email, I realize that every point is really just a concern about the PR’s involvement, making arrangements concerning estate property that really don’t have any logical connection to settlement of the estate. If the PR is willing, of course all these matters can be handled with a TEDRA and encouragement to the heirs to lawyer up, etc., but because I’m lazy, in my mind that whole process is as much time and trouble as the heirs just getting their own lawyer to form the LLC. So I think the PR’s participation is ultimately unnecessary.

Re partition, yes, that’s true—but I tend to think of the right of partition as a benefit, not a problem. I have too much litigation experience with the nightmares of family members co-owning property. Partition is a ready-made and absolute solution, whereas judicially dissolving an LLC can be quite a bit more difficult. I like the background rules for management of TIC property, and I think that the formalities of voting, etc., involved with an LLC can often create greater friction among family members.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA 98144-3909
206-625-0092
eric at sayrelawoffices.com<mailto:eric at sayrelawoffices.com>

Covid-19 Update - All attorneys are working remotely during regular business hours and are available via email and by phone. Videoconferencing also is available. Signing of estate planning documents can be completed and will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Please direct mail and deliveries to the Seattle office.