[WSBARP] Obtaining Death Records

Stephen Whitehouse swhite8893 at aol.com
Mon Oct 17 10:06:13 PDT 2022

Listmates,      Our office has an occasional need for a death certificate associated with a quiet title action. This is particularly a need when we need to publish to unknown heirs.      RCW 70.58A.530 now limits access to those records. There are three levels of information available. Without going into great detail, they are
Certification of Death- this is what was previously provided and is available to heirs, funeral homes, and courts.Short Form Certificate-this contains everything except the cause and circumstances of death. This is available to title companies but not attorneys.Informational Copies-this contains the same information as the short form.
      The first two can be used for legal purposes, the latter cannot.       Under the second option, under subsection 10(b), there is an exception for a determination related to the death which is not very clear and the WACs provide no guidance. The title company we usually work with is now declining to provide us with death certificates. We can get one by going through the court by getting a court order, but our court has no protocol set up for that, and having to do that seems to be a waste of money.      I was wanting to throw this out to see what your collective experience is.
Steve Whitehouse

Stephen WhitehouseWhitehouse & Nichols, LLPP.O. Box 1273601 W. Railroad Ave. Shelton, Wa. 98584360-426-5885swhite8893 at aol.com