[WSBARP] real estate commissions

Kary Krismer Krismer at comcast.net
Thu Nov 10 10:44:49 PST 2022

Just to follow up on this a bit more, there are at least two RCWs in
play.  18.85.301 (Sharing commissions) and 18.85.151(8) (Exemptions from
licensing).

The former prevents sharing commissions with unlicensed
persons/entities, and would seemingly be problematic regarding rebates
to a buyer.  However, a rebate has apparently been seen as being merely
an agreement to reduce compensation.  Personally I'm not familiar with
the legal basis for such a rational, particularly when the reduction of
commission does not go back to the person/entity paying the commission.
I'd be interested in seeing that private letter ruling on rebating
commission, but it may be only of historical interest at this point.

Note that now under the new statewide listing agreements it's typically
the seller paying the commission to the buyer's broker's brokerage,
under a third party beneficiary theory.  So it's no longer the firm
sharing the commission, as opposed to clearly reducing the commission,
and it really would be more akin to a seller paying a portion of buyer's
closing costs.  So 18.85.301 may no longer be much of a concern on this
issue, particularly given the forms contemplate such a rebate.  The
standard listing agreement indicates that the compensation may be
modified by the PSA, and there's form 41C providing for rebates.

The latter statute creates an exception to licensing for referral fees
as long as the referral fee is not contingent on the closing of a
transaction.  So technically that would not be sharing a commission
since it's due and owing regardless of whether a commission is earned.

Kary L. Krismer
John L. Scott, Inc.
206 723-2148