[WSBARP] Messy RE fact pattern ... input, please!

Eric Nelsen eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Fri May 27 09:46:41 PDT 2022

I think there are probably a lot of other facts that might have an impact on how this plays out, but for what it’s worth, I think there needs to be a decision at the outset on whether to frame the matter as breakup of a committed intimate relationship (CIR) or as a partition. The contract I think would be layered over that, influencing what relief could be granted under either theory. Under CIR, would need to evaluate whether a CIR even existed; sounds like maybe they were together for maybe two years, and cohabited for even less time? Also the existence of the contract implies that they were not pooling resources in a CIR manner, but rather making a businesslike contractual agreement, which favors partition as a vehicle for the case.

I assume the contract does not contain provisions restricting the right of partition, or otherwise dictating how and when the property could be sold?

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA 98144-3909
206-625-0092
eric at sayrelawoffices.com<mailto:eric at sayrelawoffices.com>

Covid-19 Update - All attorneys are working remotely during regular business hours and are available via email and by phone. Videoconferencing also is available. Signing of estate planning documents can be completed and will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Please direct mail and deliveries to the Seattle office.