[WSBARP] Watanabe v. Watanabe

Eric Nelsen eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Thu May 26 10:31:15 PDT 2022

I finally got around to reading this and since I’m avoiding some other work I thought I would weigh in.

First, I agree with Russell that Watanabe really only addresses the issue of characterization of property in the context of a dissolution proceeding. The basic principle is I think as Jason stated: don’t even bother arguing for a characterization of property based on whose name title is held, because the court is going to look behind the title and determine it to be separate or community based on the source of funds used to acquire it (plus other factors).

That principle probably would be applied in any form of dispute between spouses, but it’s not likely to be extended to a case where a third party is involved. For example, if a creditor has a judgment against a tortfeasor spouse and the spouse’s community, and executes against real property held in both their names “as community property,” I highly doubt the spouses would be allowed to evade the execution on the grounds that the property is “really” separate property of a non-liable spouse.

Second, having once taught a community property class at SU a few years ago and getting deep into the weeds because of it, I appreciate the approach of the Watanabe decision and I’m particularly glad it’s unanimous. Lay people generally have no real grasp of what community property rights mean, because it’s too technical and convoluted and because, as Borghi points out, people shift the nominal title holder of assets all the time for reasons having nothing to do with an intention to recharacterize the property or make a gift to their spouse. It’s an area where real life and the law don’t intersect very well, and Borghi/Watanabe resolves the potential conflict in favor of real life even though it can make things more difficult for divorce lawyers.

The alternative rule to Borghi/Watanabe is the old Creasman presumption that title is presumed to be as the spouses intended to dispose of the property, and Creasman was a fantastically racist and results-oriented opinion (deprive the Black guy of his property in favor of his deceased white wife’s heirs) that was distinguished out of existence as soon as there was any attempt to apply it in non-mixed-race cases. I think the long line of post-Creasman cases straining to avoid its application demonstrates that the simple-to-administer rule, that the names on the paper define characterization, generally results in huge injustices.

Finally, I noticed two things about Watanabe that I thought were a little wonky.

  1.  It misstates the facts in Borghi. The “special warranty deed” in Borghi was not executed from the wife to the wife and husband, as the opinion claims. Before marriage the wife entered into a real estate contract to purchase property. After marriage, the seller under the contract issued its fulfilment deed to wife and husband. 167 Wn.2d at 482. There was “no evidence as to why” it did that, Id. at 489 (even though it seems obvious that the wife probably asked that her husband be included on the deed). I think the distinction as to who is the Grantor is important, because Borghi also states that proper way to convert sp to cp is a quitclaim deed from one spouse to both spouses. Id. at 488-489. (Though, as Watanabe points out, that also is not conclusive if the deed is done to accommodate a lender and extrinsic evidence shows a lack of intent to actually convert sp to cp.)

  1.  The discussion of extrinsic evidence and “objective manifestation” under contract law seems a little out of place. A deed is a conveyance instrument and is not a contract; there is no “mutual acceptance” of a deed that would render an “objective manifestation” relevant, and the grantee spouse is not making any promise or providing consideration...unless of course they are in fact entering into some kind of separate binding contract with each other and the deed is executed pursuant to that contract, which would be an entirely different scenario. I think Watanabe’s final conclusory statement is nevertheless a good rule even if not necessarily on the reasoning of the opinion: “Extrinsic evidence showing a spouse’s intent when signing [a] quitclaim deed may be considered in determining the character of property in a dissolution proceeding.”

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA 98144-3909
206-625-0092
eric at sayrelawoffices.com<mailto:eric at sayrelawoffices.com>

Covid-19 Update - All attorneys are working remotely during regular business hours and are available via email and by phone. Videoconferencing also is available. Signing of estate planning documents can be completed and will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Please direct mail and deliveries to the Seattle office.