[WSBARP] Length of Time Tenant's belongings must stay on public right of way

scott at scottgthomaslaw.com scott at scottgthomaslaw.com
Thu Mar 17 14:26:35 PDT 2022

Paul's solution is probably the best, if you can reach that type of
agreement.  The property moved to the curb belongs to the former tenant, and
at some point in time will be regarded as abandoned by the tenant.  There
may be a good definition of abandoned property in the common law in this
context, but if there is, I am unaware of it.  So what some cities or
counties will do is to define property left in the public ROW as being
abandoned after a certain period of time, which typically varies from 24 to
48 hours.  See, Kitsap County code Sec. 9.56.090 (24 hours); Lewis County
Code Sec. 1.22.040 (24 hours); Tacoma Municipal Code Sec. 8.30.055 (48
hours).  After the allotted time, the property is deemed abandoned and a
public nuisance, and the abutting property owner may be ordered to abate the
nuisance.

What I think usually happens is that the city or county picks up the trash,
as Paul suggests, and no effort is made to charge the abutting owner.