[WSBARP] Police say evicted Tenants can come back onto property to pick up personal items

Kaitlyn Jackson kaitlyn at dimensionlaw.com
Wed Mar 16 13:00:46 PDT 2022

This is kind of a grey area because if the tenants failed to get all of
their personal property out of the property by the eviction date, and the
owner/landlord did not have it moved onto the public right of way, then
there's a question as to whether the owner/landlord as "volunteered" to
store the property in compliance with RCW 59.18.312. In the event that the
landlord stored the property (either voluntarily or by written demand per
the statute), the tenant does have a right to collect it, but only after
paying reasonable or actual storage costs. Now, that doesn't necessarily
mean the tenants are allowed back on the property - it could be stored in a
storage facility, but they do have a right to collect it somehow. But if
they have not paid the reasonable or actual storage costs - then the
landlord has to go through the process outlined in RCW 59.18.312 before
disposing of the property.

It's easier to just let them back in while the police keep watch if the
landlord failed to have it removed on the day of the eviction.

*Sent with Right Inbox <https://www.rightinbox.com/?utm_source=signature>*

On Mon, Feb 21, 2022 at 5:36 PM Athena Dickerson <athena at detsparlaw.com>
wrote:

> The police did this to me in a recent squatter eviction and I made sure we
> had a civil standby to make sure they left after and there was no confusion
> that they were being allowed back into the premises.  This worked out ok
> for me, although this was the first time I had ever had to let a tenant
> back in.
>

> Athena Makratzakis Dickerson
>
> DETHLEFS SPARWASSER
> <https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fdetsparlaw.com&c=E,1,3MignbV7JN3fDW35Ex6-X8EUG7nEGjNuKTlfq-Aje1rdb6fDs8Yt68iJDkX__xogulPxvRxqczE1jab42wQRIayCHjlfyP0fLjpZdlZRIPinoeG9OpKmAQ,,&typo=1>
>
> REICH DICKERSON PLLC
> <https://linkprotect.cudasvc.com/url?a=https%3a%2f%2fdetsparlaw.com&c=E,1,bLSaO3IzGA_4xpDLui54w20Gh4qqnIdqihOO9lsFaFpEr3IyQlnxxNFTiURyp45gMfqeZoZNVArN8uCnWCEWoTGD7jQGcUGBlkqV6h6b1rlgrg,,&typo=1>
>
> 100 Second Avenue South, Suite 190  I  Edmonds, WA 98020
>
> P  425.776.1352  I  F 425.776.2467
>
> athena at detsparlaw.com
>

> This message and the documents attached to it, if any, contains
> confidential information from DETHLEFS SPARWASSER REICH DICKERSON PLLC, is
> intended only for the use of the addressee and may contain information that
> is privileged and confidential under applicable law, and/or may contain
> attorney work product. If you are not the intended recipient, you are
> hereby notified that any dissemination of this communication is strictly
> prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please
> delete all electronic copies of this message and its attachments, destroy
> any hard copies you may have created and notify our office immediately.

Thank you,

Kaitlyn R. Jackson, Attorney

Dimension Law Group, PLLC

*Office:*  206-973-3500│*Fax:*  206-577-5090

*Email: **kaitlyn**@dimensionlaw.com <http://dimensionlaw.com/>*

*www.dimensionlaw.com <http://www.dimensionlaw.com/>*

130 Andover Park East, Suite 300, Tukwila, WA 98188

*Please note our office is closed November 24th through November 26th and
December 24th through January 2nd. *

PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL:  This email (including any attachments) is
intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may
contain privileged or confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the
intended recipient, you are notified that any review, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this email is prohibited. If you have received
this email in error, please immediately notify us by email, facsimile, or
telephone; return the email to us at the email address below; and destroy
all paper and electronic copies.

*Please note that I will be going on leave starting November 15, 2021
through April 1, 2022, and will not have access to phone or email. Please
email Info at Dimensionlaw.com to receive assistance.*

--
PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL:  This e-mail (including any attachments) is
intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above and may
contain privileged or confidential information. If you are not the intended
recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the
intended recipient, you are notified that any review, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited. Attempts to intercept
this message are in violation of 18 USC 2511(1) of the Electronic
Communications Privacy Act, which subjects the interceptor to fines,
imprisonment and/or civil damages. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please immediately notify us by e-mail, facsimile, or telephone;
return the e-mail to us at the e-mail address below; and destroy all paper
and electronic copies. Any settlement offer contained herein is made
pursuant to Washington ER 408, and without admitting fault or liability on
the part of this firm’s client(s) or its agents.  IRS CIRCULAR 230
DISCLAIMER:  To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, I
inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication
(including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and
cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the
Internal Revenue Code; or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to
another party any transaction or tax-related matter addressed herein.