[WSBARP] Lender Dispute - Columbia Bank

David R. Ambrose drambrose at ambroselaw.com
Thu Mar 3 14:22:22 PST 2022

To the collective,

I can guarantee you that somewhere in the loan documents is a provision, dealing with default, which provides that it is a default if the lender deems itself insecure, or that there has been a adverse change in the financial condition of the borrower (here's text from language which we use in our loan documents relating to what constitute a default:  "6.10  A material adverse change occurs in Borrower's financial condition, or Lender believes the prospect of payment or performance of the Loan is impaired; or 6.1.11 Lender in good faith believes itself insecure.",  which would arguably be the case if a new valuation determined the property is worth substantially less than the amount of the debt.  Having said this, given the market, it would be highly unusual for a commercial property to be worth less today than it was four to five years ago, so perhaps do a deep dive into the new appraisal and compare it to the appraisal done when the loan was made.

Regards,

David Ambrose
drambrose at ambroselaw.com<mailto:drambrose at ambroselaw.com>