[WSBARP] Prescriptive easement & subdivision

Paul Neumiller pneumiller at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 2 11:33:05 PST 2022

Craig, I don't see any answers so I thought I'd give you my thoughts.  Initially, legally, if the prescriptive easement  ("PE") is used to get to the entirety of the property, then I imagine (read that as no research) the PE would benefit the entire property and a subdivision of the parcel would be irrelevant (could the owner of the servient tenement argue this is an improper expansion or overburdening of the PE?).  But, on a practical note, I think (once again---no research) a PE is only good for the actual use of the servient tenement.  So if the existing road is 12 feet wide, then you only have a PE for 12 feet wide but when you go to the local planning department, you might find that the local development authorities will require a 40 foot wide easement (or something like that.)  So, you might want to approach this backwards, talk to the planning department first and see what they would require AND THEN argue that's the width of the PE.

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D82E28.1C1494B0]

IMPORTANT NOTICE:  This e-mail message is intended to be received only by persons entitled to receive the confidential information it may contain. E-mail messages to clients of Paul A. Neumiller presumptively contain information that is confidential and legally privileged; e-mail messages to non-clients are normally confidential and may also be legally privileged. Please do not read, copy, forward or store this message unless you are the intended recipient of it. If you have received this message in error, please forward it back to the sender and delete it completely from your computer system.

E-mail communication on the Internet may NOT be secure. There is a risk that this confidential communication may be intercepted illegally. There may also be a risk of waiving attorney-client and/or work-product privileges that may attach to this communication. DO NOT forward this message to a third party. If you have any questions regarding this notice, please contact the sender.