[WSBARP] 59.18.650(3) tenancy question

Timothy Lehr timothy at stileslaw.com
Thu Jun 9 09:31:55 PDT 2022

Fellow UD experts,

Tenant 1 is the only tenant on a lease agreement. He has allowed his girlfriend to live with him for the last 6+ months. She is not on lease and did not get approval from landlord. Tenant 1 and GF had domestic dispute wherein Tenant 1 has left the property voluntarily. Girlfriend remains at the premises. My reading of the statute is that because GF has been there at least 6 months, Landlord is required to offer girlfriend rental agreement with 30-Day Notice pursuant to 59.18.650(3) before pursuing eviction. If the previous is true, LL wants to offer 6-month lease to allow them to be able to terminate 60 days prior to the end of the term pursuant to 650(1) if it does not work out.

However, my reading under 650(3) is that if you enter into a new tenancy pursuant to that subsection, you can only evict for cause under 650(2). Is that correct? So if LL enters into a 1-year lease with girlfriend, they can no longer terminate pursuant to 650(1)? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.

Tim

Timothy C. Lehr
Attorney at Law

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D87BE3.C0544350]

p:   360.855.0131
e:   timothy at stileslaw.com<mailto:timothy at stileslaw.com>
w:  www.stileslaw.com<http://www.stileslaw.com/>

NOTICE: The information contained in this email is proprietary and/or confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient of this communication, you are hereby notified to : (i) delete the email and all copies; (ii) not disclose, distribute or use the email in any manner; (iii) notify the sender immediately. Thank you.