[WSBARP] Private loans

Mark Anderson marka at mbaesq.com
Thu Jul 14 12:38:43 PDT 2022

One additional consideration of which I am aware is related to the minimum interest rate to be charged in a situation involving "family loans."  The minimum federal rate, also known as the "Applicable Federal Rate," sets the lowest amount of interest that must be charged on a loan.  The AFR is published by the IRS every month.  If the rate is below this, the risk exists that the IRS will consider the loan a gift and tax the transaction accordingly.

Mark B. Anderson
ANDERSON LAW FIRM PLLC
821 Dock St  Ste 209  PMB 4-12
Tacoma, Washington 98402
+1 253-327-1750
+1 253-327-1751 (fax)
marka at mbaesq.com<mailto:marka at mbaesq.com>
www.mbaesq.com<http://www.mbaesq.com/>
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This transmission is confidential and is intended solely for the use of the individual named recipient. It may be protected by the attorney-client privilege, work product doctrine, or other confidentiality protection. If you are not the intended recipient, or the person responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, be advised that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify the sender via e-mail or by telephone at (253) 327-1750 that you have received the message in error, and then delete it. Thank you.