[WSBARP] Off Topic Question

Eric Nelsen eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Fri Jan 28 12:46:25 PST 2022

I think so on evidentiary basis-lack of foundation. Who is going to testify from personal knowledge as to the authenticity and completeness and true source of the records, or otherwise satisfy the authenticity requirements of ER 901? I assume the "third party" is not the records custodian, and I don't think having documents handed to you from an office is sufficient "personal knowledge" to authenticate. Also there are the typical hearsay objections to the contents of the records (though for medical records that is limited by scope of ER 803(a)(4)).

Note that if they use the pre-trial admissibility notice procedure under ER 904, it will be important to object to authenticity, hearsay, etc. in response, but the stakes go up because related fees and costs can be imposed if there's no reasonable basis to object to authenticity. See ER 904(c)(1).

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA 98144-3909
206-625-0092
eric at sayrelawoffices.com<mailto:eric at sayrelawoffices.com>

Covid-19 Update - All attorneys are working remotely during regular business hours and are available via email and by phone. Videoconferencing also is available. Signing of estate planning documents can be completed and will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Please direct mail and deliveries to the Seattle office.