[WSBARP] Community property or not?

Kary Krismer Krismer at comcast.net
Wed Jan 26 12:15:24 PST 2022

The issue I would have is would Washington consider the Oregon stock to
be separate property AFTER the couple moves to Washington IF both
spouses work in the corporate business AND IF they don't take an
adequate salary for their efforts?  It's a conflict of law question I
don't remember the answer to, but I think Washington might consider that
stock CP on the right facts even though the corporation is based on
Oregon (basically apply Washington law). That this is a question of the
ownership of real property in Washington would be another reason for the
court to apply Washington law.

If the stock were SP when the Washington real property was purchased I
don't see any reason why the real property wouldn't have been SP at that
time.  But if the status of that stock could have changed over time
after moving to Washington, I don't see any reason the real property
wouldn't change in status up to the point it was transferred into the
husband's name.

Couldn't this all be dealt with by a QCD from H&W to H as separate
property right before transfer into the trust?  Would W need separate
counsel prior to signing that deed?

Kary L. Krismer
206 723-2148