[WSBARP] House Constructed Over Lot Line

David dpw at thewilliamslawfirm.com
Fri Aug 19 12:58:57 PDT 2022

Listmates—a few days ago there was a post about an property owner who owned three contiguous lots who built his house on Lot B that extended 10 feet into Lot C. The consensus of how to deal with that issue was for the owner to grant an easement on Lot C for the benefit of Lot B. That was my thought as well.
Later, I recalled something for Stoebuck’s Washington Practice where he states that an easement appurtenant “implies at least two parcels of land…and these parcels must be in separate ownership; one person who owns two separate parcels of land cannot have an easement across one that serves the other.” He cites a 1918 case.102 Washi. 608, 173 P. 508.
Is the solution to clearly make the easement “in gross” or has there been a case that reverses the 1918 result?