[WSBARP] Lease for Life in Seattle

Kelby Derenick kelby at derenicklaw.com
Mon Aug 1 17:39:14 PDT 2022

Here is one I drafted a few years back.  This was before all of the
landlord-tenant law changes the last few years so it will need to be
updated accordingly.  Also, this was in Whatcom county.  If you need one
for Seattle, King County or the other jurisdictions with the additional
landlord-tenant rules it will need to be adjusted.

Both signatures need to be notarized.  I would also record it at the county
auditor's office.  I can't speak to any tax implications.

I have never litigated a life lease dispute before so I do not know if the
abandonment provisions I put in there would hold up in court.  It seems
like a reasonable provision to include to address what happens if the
tenant abandons the place but won't sign a mutual termination.  Hopefully
this is unlikely to happen with a family member as the tenant.  Also, make
sure to include some sort of consideration for rent.  The attached one
includes the payment of taxes, utilities, etc.  I also added
maintenance/repairs but if that provision is ever challenged it would
likely fail since statutes address the duties of the landlord.

I hope this helps.

Kelby J. Derenick
Attorney

*10018 Greenwood Ave. N*
*Seattle, WA 98133*
*Ph. (206) 659-5061*

*14 E. Main Street, Suite 207*
*Walla Walla, WA 99362*
*Ph: (509) 676-9805*

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This electronic mail message contains information
that (a) is or may be legally privileged, confidential, proprietary in
nature, or otherwise protected by law from disclosure, and (b) is intended
only for the use of the Addressee(s) named herein. If you are not the
intended recipient, an addressee, or the person responsible for delivering
this to an addressee, you are hereby notified that reading, using, copying,
or distributing any part of this message is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this electronic mail message in error, please contact me
immediately and take the steps necessary to delete the message completely
from your computer system.  Thank you.