[WSBARP] Off Topic Issue - Bankruptcy/Community Property Question

Setareh Mahmoodi mahmoodi.setareh at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 15:24:26 PDT 2022

Hi Sam,

I'd be happy to chat with you about this. Feel free to give me a call.

Have a great day,

On Thu, Apr 7, 2022 at 12:51 PM <samuel at meylerlegal.com> wrote:

> Mates,
>

> I have an off-topic bankruptcy/community property question and was hoping
> that one of you out there that practices bankruptcy law might be able to
> help.
>

> H purchased a vehicle while H and W were married.  H was the only one on
> the loan and the only one on title.  H and W get divorced and the W is
> awarded the vehicle in the divorce.  Nobody makes payments on the vehicle
> for a period and lender attempts to repossess the vehicle.  W files Chapter
> 13 BK.
>

> Generally, I don’t think that the divorce decree has any bearing on the
> lender’s rights, but does the divorce decree or even simply W’s possession
> of the vehicle give W the right to include the lender as a secured creditor
> in the bankruptcy?  Does filing bankruptcy protect W from having the
> vehicle repossessed given that she is not on the loan or title?
>

> I appreciate any thoughts or legal authority on this and would love to
> chat with someone knowledgeable in these matters.  Thanks.
>

> Sam
>

> *Samuel M. Meyler*
>
> *Meyler Legal, PLLC *
>
> 1700 Westlake Ave. N., Ste. 200
>
> Seattle, Washington 98109
>
> *Tel:*  206.876.7770
>
> *Fax:*  206.876.7771
>
> *Email:*  samuel at meylerlegal.com
>

> *NOTICE:*
>

> This electronic message contains information which may be Confidential or
> Privileged and constitutes an electronic communication within the meaning
> of the Electronic Communications Privacy Act 18 USC 2510. The information
> is intended to be for the use of the individual or entity named above.  If
> you are not the intended recipient, please be aware that any disclosure,
> copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is
> prohibited.  If you received this transmission in error, please notify the
> sender and delete the copy you received together with any attachments.
> Thank you.

> others.***

*Best regards, *

*Setareh Mahmoodi *

*Attorney at Law *

*18222 104th Ave NE, Suite 103*

*Bothell, WA 98011*

*Phone: 425-806-1500*

*Fax: 425-489-4142 (Please email documents if at all possible)*

*Email: SM at LawOfficesofSM.com*

*Website: **http://www.lawofficesofsm.com/ <http://www.lawofficesofsm.com/>*

*CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:* This email message and any attachments is a
transmission from the law firm and is intended for the recipient only.  It
may contain information that is confidential and legally protected by the
attorney-client, work product and/or other privileges.  If you are not the
designated or intended recipient, please destroy the message without
disclosing any of its contents and notify us immediately by reply email or
by calling (425) 806-1500.

Pursuant to U.S. Treasury Department Regulations, we are now required to
advise you that, unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax
advice contained in this communication, including attachments and
enclosures, is not intended or written to be used, and may not be used, for
the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal
Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party
any tax-related matters addressed herein.