[WSBARP] security deposit as liquidated damage

Kary Krismer Krismer at comcast.net
Thu Sep 23 11:18:28 PDT 2021

I would think that would require you jump through the common law hoops,
absent a statutory exception as exists for real estate purchase and sale
agreements 5% of purchase price, or less.  I really doubt there is such
an exception, and jumping through the common law hoops would probably be
difficult/impossible.

There may also be local ordinances against it.  I remember some 30+
years ago Seattle prohibited loss of deposit for not staying X months in
a month to month (6 or 12, I don't remember).  So most landlords
switched to leases.

A tenant's loss of deposit is not something that is favored.

Kary L. Krismer
206 723-2148