[WSBARP] California Trust in Washington

Joshua McKarcher josh at mckarcherlaw.com
Sat Sep 11 06:51:37 PDT 2021

Jim,

Unopposed probate hearings in California — last I heard BEFORE Covid — were taking a year to be scheduled and heard in some parts of California. They have statutory PR fees and complicated processes. That’s why nearly everyone in California has or should have an RLT.

After you amend, you might provide the client a Washington form certificate of trust (per my email the other day) and recite the fact of the trust’s new location of administration (situs), last amendment date, and amended choice of law provision.

In this situation, the certificate may prove to be a helpful prophylactic for the client and more readily “tip off” a future reader to this change from the original document (if, for example, the amendment isn’t readily apparent or gets separated from the original or is overlooked or what have you).

Best, Josh

Joshua D. McKarcher
McKarcher Law PLLC
537 6th Street