[WSBARP] REET Exemption for Parents to Son

Jerimy Kirschner jerimy at jkirschnerlaw.com
Wed Sep 1 09:41:42 PDT 2021

Adding to what Kerry said, this sounds like an ethics trap.   If the
lawyer’s services will be used by the client in furthering a course of
criminal or fraudulent conduct, the lawyer must withdraw. See RPC
1.16(a)(1); RPC 1.6 [27]

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 6:49 PM Kerry Richards <krichards at lawgate.net>
wrote:

> Nick:
> Be careful you do not involve yourself in perpetrating a fraud. “Muddying
> the waters” so as to avoid wife’s interest is perhaps just another phrase
> for the same thing-fraud. Did he use community funds for the down payment?
> Did he use community earnings for the mortgage payments? This type of
> transaction all too often rears its head during divorce.
> Be careful you are not a participant.
> Yours truly,
> Kerry A. Richards
>
> On Aug 31, 2021, at 4:03 PM, Nicholas Pleasants <nick at pleasantslaw.com>
> wrote:
>

> Hi All,
>
> Looking for a suggestion on how to structure a potential transaction.
> Parents want to transfer home to Son. The home equitably belongs to Son –
> he has paid the mortgage (and probably also the downpayment) since it was
> acquired from a third party years ago. At the time home was purchased by
> Parents, Son was going through a divorce, and to avoid muddying up the
> title with soon-to-be-ex-wife’s potential interest, Son asked Parents to
> purchase the home and take out mortgage for him (I know, a bit weird). I
> think the mortgage does not need to be refinanced because of Garn St.
> Germain. So my main concern is how to structure the transaction to  be
> exempt from excise tax. Can parents quitclaim to son? What WAC would apply?
> Thanks for any input or steerage in the right direction.
>
> Best,
>
> Nick
>

> *Nicholas Pleasants*
>
> Owner
>

> <http://www.pleasantslaw.com/>
> <image001.png>
>

> Pleasants Law Firm, P.S.
> 2300 130th Ave NE, Suite A-101
> Bellevue, WA 98005-1755
> (425) 615-7070 tel/fax
> nick at pleasantslaw.com
>
> www.pleasantslaw.com
>
> The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged and is
> confidential information intended only for the use of the recipient, or any
> employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient. Any
> unauthorized use, distribution or copying of this information is strictly
> prohibited and may be unlawful.

> immediately and destroy the original message and all attachments from your
> electronic files.
> others.***

> others.***

Jerimy Kirschner, Esq.
Managing Partner
Jerimy Kirschner & Associates PLLC

*WASHINGTON*

1750 112th Avenue NE, Suite B-215

Bellevue, WA 98004

Phone: (206) 623-4444

Fax (206) 538-2008

*NEVADA     *

5550 Painted Mirage Rd., Suite 320

Las Vegas, NV 89149

Phone: (702) 563-4444

Fax (702) 563-4445

Notice: This fax or email is from a law firm, Jerimy Kirschner & Associates
("JKA"), and is intended solely for the use and review of the individual(s)
to whom it is addressed. If you have received this fax or email in error,
please notify the sender immediately. In addition, please destroy the fax
and/or delete the email from your computer. Please do not copy or disclose
it to anyone else as it may contain important private information.

If you are not an existing client of JKA, it is not the intent of this fax
or email to make you a client unless it contains a specific written
statement to that effect and do not disclose anything to JKA in reply that
you expect it to hold in confidence.
If you are counsel in litigation with JKA, either associated or opposing,
and would like to participate in facsimile service of future pleadings,
please contact us at (702)563-4444 or (253)240-4444 to arrange for a
reciprocal facsimile agreement.