[WSBARP] Real estate salels contract: flooring repair question

Claudia A Gowan claudia at cagowanlaw.com
Wed Oct 20 14:16:44 PDT 2021

Colleagues, I need guidance on a real estate sales issue. Estate is selling a home. Floor has water damage and needs repair. Buyer and seller are splitting cost. The wood subfloor may also have water damage, in which case that cost will be split.

The issue: Buyer just asked me 'well what if they discover mold down there'?!!! We are not committing to an all out remediation of whatever is found. House only in estate for one year, tenant occupied the whole time.

Do I need to limit the language of the addendum?

Buyer addendum reads:
"Buyer and seller agree to split the cost of replacing the flooring, and, repairing or replacing subfloor as needed."

It is that last clause that is bothering me - does it basically include mold remediation and any other problem? Does it need limiting?

Thanks very much for any help. Claudia

Claudia A. Gowan

Claudia A. Gowan, PLLC
2212 Queen Anne Avenue No., # 338 (Mailing only)
Seattle, WA 98109
(206) 443-2733 (T)
claudia at cagowanlaw.com<mailto:claudia at cagowanlaw.com>

www.seattletrustsandestates.com<http://www.seattletrustsandestates.com/>

Recognizing the risk of coronavirus for our clients and colleagues, we are working remotely. Our direct email and telephone contact information, which has not changed, along with  a  permanent mailing address is noted above.