[WSBARP] Growing marijuana a breach of lease?

Timothy Lehr timothy at stileslaw.com
Wed Nov 24 08:59:21 PST 2021

All,

Landlord has an issue that I have yet to run into. LL is career military and lives in Virginia. He has a rental in WA where the two tenants have a small marijuana grow operation in the garage. LL is worried because of violations of federal law and doesn't want to be associated with that to protect his career. The lease states that tenants must comply with all federal, state and city laws, including the illegal use, possession and sale of illegal drugs.

I haven't researched the whole state vs. federal law question as it applies to marijuana. Does LL have a basis for serving a 10-day notice based on the violation of federal law (and in turn violation of lease) when marijuana is legal in WA? Even if he does, what are the chances a court would actually evict based on that?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Tim
Timothy C. Lehr
Attorney at Law

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D7E111.9165A3D0]

p:   360.855.0131
e:   timothy at stileslaw.com<mailto:timothy at stileslaw.com>
w:  www.stileslaw.com<http://www.stileslaw.com/>

NOTICE: The information contained in this email is proprietary and/or confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient of this communication, you are hereby notified to : (i) delete the email and all copies; (ii) not disclose, distribute or use the email in any manner; (iii) notify the sender immediately. Thank you.