[WSBARP] 36 month lease - no notary

Rod Harmon rodharmon at msn.com
Wed Nov 3 21:11:53 PDT 2021

I have this issue in a current case.  My research concludes as follows:

Under the statute of frauds, RCW 64.04.020, “an unacknowledged lease for more than one year is void so far as the duration of the lease is concerned, and shall be construed only as a tenancy from month to month or from period to period on which rent is payable.”  National Laundry Co. v. Mayer, 79 Wn. 212, 214-15 (1914); Omak Realty Investment Co. v. Dewey, 129 Wn. 385, 388-89 (1924); Richards v. Redelsheimer, 36 Wn. 325 (1904).  RCW 64.04.020 requires leases to be in deed form, i.e. they must include an acknowledgement.  Another statute, RCW 59.04.020, creates an exception to this rule, but only for leases of a year or less.
Nevertheless, courts have the power to enforce a lease that does not satisfy the statute of frauds if equity and justice so require. Miller v. McCamish, 78 Wn.2d 821 (1971).  The doctrine by which an unacknowledged lease is taken out of the statute of frauds is a form of equitable estoppel.  Tiegs v. Watts, 135 Wn.2d 1, 15-16 (1998). “We have recognized as enforceable leases ones that do not fully comply with statutory requisites when under the facts it would be inequitable for the challenging parties to assert invalidity of their own agreements.” Tiegs v. Watts, 135 Wash. 2d 1, 15 (1998).  “This doctrine prevents a party from asserting the invalidity of a contract where the other party has acted in conformity with the contract and thus placed himself in a position where it would be intolerable in equity to deny its enforcement.” Stevenson v. Parker, 25 Wn.App. 639, 643-44 (1980); Miller v. McCamish, 78 Wn.2d 821, 827 (1971).  The party asserting equitable estoppel must prove it by “‘very clear and cogent evidence.’“ Proctor v. Huntington, 146 Wn.App. 836, 845 (2008) (quoting Sorenson v. Pyeatt, 158 Wn. 2d 523, 539 (2006)), review granted, 165 Wn.2d 1041 (2009); The burden is on the lessee to prove the material terms of an unacknowledged lease by clear and unequivocal evidence.  Ben Holt Indus., Inc. v. Milne, 36 Wn. App. 468, 475 (1984).

Rod Harmon

RODNEY T. HARMON
      Bothell, WA   98041
     Tel:   (425) 402-7800