[WSBARP] Tenancy at will

Kaitlyn Jackson kaitlyn at dimensionlaw.com
Tue Nov 2 12:34:06 PDT 2021

Athena -

You can assume that the evidence they need to present showing they
co-resided in the property for 6 months prior to the tenant vacating will
be minimal - maybe even just a declaration. The reality is that if there is
only a declaration, it may be enough to create an "issue of fact" and have
the case set for trial by the Housing Justice Project or whatever attorney
is assigned to the case (remember, many tenants qualify for tax-payer
funded attorneys now). I think that the more "sure" way of handling the
issue is to follow the procedure of offering them to apply to become a
tenant (they have to qualify under the same terms as the previous tenant)
within 30 days, and then if they don't apply or don't qualify, then their
right to occupy can be terminated.

(3) When a tenant has permanently vacated due to voluntary or involuntary
events, other than by the ending of the tenancy by the landlord, a landlord
must serve a notice to any remaining occupants who had coresided with the
tenant at least six months prior to and up to the time the tenant
permanently vacated, requiring the occupants to either apply to become a
party to the rental agreement or vacate within 30 days of service of such
notice. In processing any application from a remaining occupant under this
subsection, the landlord may require the occupant to meet the same
screening, background, and financial criteria as would any other
prospective tenant to continue the tenancy. If the occupant fails to apply
within 30 days of receipt of the notice in this subsection, or the
application is denied for failure to meet the criteria, the landlord may
commence an unlawful detainer action under this chapter. If an occupant
becomes a party to the tenancy pursuant to this subsection, a landlord may
not end the tenancy except as provided under subsection (2) of this
section. This subsection does not apply to tenants residing in subsidized
housing.

www.dimensionlaw.com