[WSBARP] joint tenants

John McCrady j.mccrady at pstitle.com
Tue May 11 15:47:48 PDT 2021

The  presumption is, under RCW 64.28.020, when two or more people acquire an interest in real estate that interest is tenants in common.  Title Companies, when asked to insure a purchase as Joint Tenants with rights of survivorship, ask that the recital be:  "as joint tenants with rights of survivorship and not as tenants in common" in order to clearly overcome the presumption.
When asked to insure a conveyance or mortgage by a surviving joint tenant where the above language is absent we are forced to review the totality of the circumstances and make a decision.
Thankfully it doesn't come up often.

John McCrady
Counsel
Puget Sound Title Company
5350 Orchard Street West
University Place WA 98467
253-476-5721
j.mccrady at pstitle.com<mailto:j.mccrady at pstitle.com>
WARNING-FRAUDULENT FUNDING INSTRUCTIONS
Email hacking and fraud are on the rise to fraudulently misdirect funds.  Please call your escrow officer immediately using contact information found from an independent source, such as the sales contract or internet, to verify any funding instructions received.  We are not responsible for any wire sent by you to an incorrect bank account.

***Due to the Covid 19 outbreak and with concern for the health and safety of our employees and community; our University Place lobby will remain locked during normal business hours. If you need to make an appointment or have any questions or concerns, please contact us at our main office at 253-474-4747. We appreciate your patience during these uncertain times and look forward to consistently exceeding your expectations.***