[WSBARP] Estate Tax Avoidance

John J. Sullivan, Esq. sullaw at comcast.net
Mon May 10 21:38:16 PDT 2021

Jim:

If they are both citizens each enjoys a lifetime exemption this year of $2.193M. So as long as you design their wills/RLT to not waste the exemption of the first decedent you are almost home. Also, WA has no gift tax, so the second decedent can gift near death.

A TOD deed most certainly does not remove the real property from either estate and could make it difficult to implement the common “disclaimer trust” strategy for capturing the first decedent’s lifetime exemption. Same with the financial assets. The gross estate includes everything the decedent had control of at the moment of death.

The $30,000 figure? I’m guessing you mean the $15,000 annual exclusion for each of them to any one recipient from federal gift taxes. So they can gift up to $30,000.00 to any one recipient together without filing a gift tax return. But again, there is no WA gift tax.

All they need is a standard plain vanilla disclaimer trust design that QTIPs the credit shelter trust for federal purposes to secure a second step up in basis. Every married couple plan should be able to shelter up to $4,386,000 without doing anything fancy or aggressive. They’re only $214,000.00 over the combined threshold. Consider having the survivor make gifts as near as death as necessary to assure not running out of funds.

I’m coming to this late, so if anyone has already set this out, I apologize for repeating.

John J. Sullivan