[WSBARP] New fact pattern for me Adverse Possession.

Craig Gourley craig at glgmail.com
Thu Mar 11 14:19:12 PST 2021

Listmates.  After 37 years I thought I had seen just about every weird fact pattern that people can come up with.  Well, I was wrong.  Your thoughts on this would be appreciated.   Mom dies 17 years ago. No probate. Son is grief stricken when along comes the bad guy and tells grief stricken son that he will " take over"  the house and gives him a couple bucks for his trouble.  Son moves out, signs some document which we do not have a copy of.  Son later figures out he has been taken advantage of but figures nothing can be done.   Now, along comes the IRS investigating the bad guy and trying to see if he owns the property which bad guy I believe tells the IRS that he does not . IRS tells son that whatever he signed was not valid so Mom is still in title.  I check and yes deceased mom is still in title with an outstanding Deed of Trust that has been in foreclosure twice since she died. Not sure if bad guy lives there but suspect he is renting it out.  Soooo.  If we open probate to get son the  power over the real estate can we try to kick the bad guy out?  Is the fact he has had possession for more than 10 years create adverse possession even if he acquired that possession by fraud or some underhanded means?  If he made a statement to the IRS under penalty of perjury that he does not own it, is that a waiver or some such thing? My initial thought is adverse possession is a problem but I have never researched the fraud angle or a subsequent disclaimer.  Thoughts???

GOURLEY LAW GROUP
THE EXCHANGE CONNECTION
SNOHOMISH ESCROW
P.O. Box 1091
Snohomish, WA 98291
PH:  (360) 568-5065 (800) 291-8401
Fax: (360) 568-8092

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This electronic mail transmission may contain legally privileged, confidential information belonging to the sender. The information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking any action based on the contents of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this electronic mail in error, please contact sender and delete all copies.