[WSBARP] Waive atty client privilege

Dalynne Singleton dalynne at glgmail.com
Wed Jun 2 14:04:55 PDT 2021

I would note that a POA agent cannot appear for a pro se person in court proceedings.  I had a probate case in Snohomish and the POA agent tried to appear on behalf of one of the heirs and the court said, no.
A power of attorney does not allow an attorney-in-fact to appear in court on a principal's behalf, to file legal documents on a principal's behalf or to answer or receive legal documents on a principal's behalf.

RCW 11.125 - power of attorney statute - does not provide for pro se appearance in court
RCW 2.48.180 - Unlawful practice of law is a crime.
Person may practice law in his own behalf but cannot transfer pro se right to practice law to any other person. West's RCW 2.48.180<https://1.next.westlaw.com/Link/Document/FullText?findType=L&pubNum=1000259&cite=WAST2.48.180&originatingDoc=I180a1dcbf5a711d9bf60c1d57ebc853e&refType=LQ&originationContext=document&transitionType=DocumentItem&contextData=(sc.Search)>.

Dalynne Singleton
Gourley Law Group
Snohomish Escrow
The Exchange Connection
1002 10th Street / PO Box 1091
Snohomish, WA 98291
360.568.5065
360.568.8092  fax
dalynne at glgmail.com<mailto:dalynne at glgmail.com>
Website:  www.glglawgroup.com<http://www.glglawgroup.com/>
As we face the challenges presented by COVID-19, we have limited staffing in the office to maintain critical functions. Attorney/client meetings will be handled by teleconference or virtually whenever possible.  Be assured that we will continue to advise & support our clients throughout this health emergency.  If you would like to set a telephone conference, please call or email my paralegal theresa at glgmail.com<mailto:theresa at glgmail.com> or dara at glgmail.com<mailto:dara at glgmail.com>.
LICENSED IN WASHINGTON AND OREGON
IMPORTANT/CONFIDENTIAL: This e-mail message (and any attachments accompanying it) may contain confidential information, including information protected by attorney-client privilege. The information is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s).  Delivery of this message to anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is not intended to waive any privilege or otherwise detract from the confidentiality of the message.  If you are not the intended recipient, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, do not read, disclose, reproduce, distribute, disseminate or otherwise use this transmission, rather, please promptly notify the sender by reply e-mail, and then destroy all copies of the message and its attachments, if any.