[WSBARP] Post-Divorce QCD Catch 22

Kary Krismer Krismer at comcast.net
Fri Jul 30 12:20:13 PDT 2021

Unfortunately that is may not a solution to the problem.    I suspect
the problem is RCW 6.13.060, which requires a spouse to sign off on a
mortgage of homestead property, even when the property is not the
homestead of the spouse.  If that is the problem, the bank is wrong if
given this is a post-divorce situation.  They are no longer spouses.  It
is true, however, that many banks will allow the other spouse to sign a
QCD in lieu of the spouse signing off on the DOT.  That's technically
not correct, but if both the title company and bank okay it in this, I
don't see any harm (particularly given the statute doesn't apply).

Was the divorce not entered in the county where the property is
located?  If not, would recording the divorce decree in that county
satisfy the bank and title company, given the husband's name should no
longer appear as a vested owner?

Finally, a longer term solution.  RCW 6.13.060 needs to be amended or
even repealed.  IMHO it's a holdover from 100 years ago, and it's
unnecessary given the other provisions that relate to community
property.  Note this statute applies even if the property at issue is
the separate property of the borrowing spouse, the spouses are separated
and the other spouse doesn't live in the property.  There is absolutely
no reason for its application on those facts.

Kary L. Krismer
John L. Scott, Inc.
206 723-2148