[WSBARP] Establishing that surviving spouse is sole owner of real property

Jon Fritzler FritzlerLaw at outlook.com
Mon Jan 25 09:48:51 PST 2021

Real property gurus:

Client and first wife (W1) acquire real property as husband and wife.  W1 dies. There is no probate of W1's estate. W1's CP interest in the property passes to client pursuant to a Community Property Agreement between client and W1.

Client remarries. The most recent vesting deed remains the deed to client and W1.  Client and W2 take out a loan against the property and sign a deed of trust in favor of lender. Loan is paid in full and a deed of reconveyance is recorded. W2 dies.

I plan to record a Lack of Probate Affidavit with CPA attached in order to document that client became the sole owner of the property when W1 died.   Is this sufficient to establish that client is now the sole owner or do I need to record something regarding W2?  I'm thinking not since the property became client's separate property after W1 died and would have remained his separate property throughout his marriage to W2 despite the fact that W2 signed the deed of trust for the loan?

Sincerely,
Jon M. Fritzler
Attorney at Law
717 E. 22nd St.
Vancouver, WA 98663
Tel. 360.818.4431
Eml fritzlerlaw at outlook.com<mailto:fritzlerlaw at outlook.com>

CONFIDENTIALITY
The information contained in this email is intended only for the use of the person or entity to whom it is addressed. This email may contain confidential or privileged information. If you are not the person whose name appears above, or the person responsible for delivering the email to the addressee, you are hereby notified that reading, using, copying, distributing or disseminating this communication is strictly prohibited. If you think that you have received this email message in error, please email the sender at fritzlerlaw at outlook.com<mailto:fritzlerlaw at outlook.com>. Thank you.