[WSBARP] Taking non resident alien spouse off title of real estate - tax issues

Kary Krismer Krismer at comcast.net
Tue Jan 12 21:42:03 PST 2021

What I meant by raising FIRPTA was whether the couple was contemplating
a future sale and thinking by doing a QCD beforehand they could avoid
FIRPTA.  I'm not sure that future sale would give rise to FIRPTA
withholding, but again I'm not sure it wouldn't either.  But I wasn't
worried about FIRPTA on the gift.

As to the step up in basis my concern was that the step up would only
apply to community property, not separate property.  Also a question I
don't know the answer to.  In the back of my mind I seem to recall it
applies to either type of property, but that's something I'd want to
make sure of.

Kary L. Krismer
206 723-2148