[WSBARP] Taking non resident alien spouse off title of real estate - tax issues

Kary Krismer Krismer at comcast.net
Tue Jan 12 19:14:26 PST 2021

I would take a step back, and if this is just about FIRPTA, find out if
FIRPTA would even apply with a US Citizen still on title. I sort of
doubt it would since they would have a taxpayer to reach, but I don't
know that.

And then I would think about the step up in basis on death of community
property when a spouse passes away, and find out whether you'd be giving
that away.  Without this transfer and a step up in basis there'd likely
be little or no gain for several years, and even if FIRPTA applied any
money taken would be paid back upon filing a return.  Note that step up
in basis would apply whichever spouse dies first.

It may be the client is wishing to avoid a non-existent problem and
creating a future liability.

Kary L. Krismer
206 723-2148