[WSBARP] moratorium extension?

Roger Moss ram at rinconres.org
Wed Feb 24 14:37:37 PST 2021

Colleagues,

Do you care about fundamental fairness, access to justice, and the reliable availability of professional neutral services for you and your clients?

If your answer is yes, please connect with your state representatives and object to the mandatory mediation scheme, aka Eviction Resolution Program (ERP), which current legislation seeks to embed into the system.

I write as vice chair of the ADR Section executive committee. While we cannot take an official position on legislation, after careful study our group is deeply concerned about the ERP. Our view is independent of the predominant purpose of the various bills, which amount to a wholesale re-write of the RLTA. A mediation provision simply should not be part of legislation filled with policy decisions that in some cases are highly partisan.

The ERP was cooked up by Resolution Washington (the DRCs), the King County Bar Association Housing Justice Project, and the Courts. Many community stakeholders who should have been part of the planning process were systematically cut out of it, including small investor landlords, nonprofit affordable housing providers, and experts in contemporary dispute resolution processes. The way ERP was contrived corrupts the delivery of services. It is not a neutral process.

The ERP is also handled differently in every county, dependent on the make up of the local DRC. That makes consistency of service impossible. The eviction crisis, in both residential and commercial settings, can only be managed fairly and efficiently through a centralized system.

Since 2017, ADR Section leadership have been calling for the creation of streamlined technology-enhanced mediation to prevent eviction that leads to homelessness. These efforts have been thwarted by the DRCs and the HJP, with their particular agendas. The courts have unwittingly enabled them, to the extreme detriment of Washington residents.

Let your voices be heard.

Roger A. Moss
Managing Director
Rincon Resolutions LLC
206.790.1971 Seattle
415.371.9724 San Francisco
RinconRes.org

Confidential Correspondence
The information in this e-mail (including attachments, if any) is considered privileged and/or confidential and is intended only for the recipient(s) listed above. Any review, use, disclosure, distribution or copying of this e-mail is prohibited except by or on behalf of the intended recipient. If you have received this email in error, please notify me immediately by reply email, delete this email, and do not disclose its contents to anyone.