[WSBARP] Contracting Around Landlord Tenant Law

Jeff Davis jeff at bellanddavispllc.com
Fri Feb 12 11:20:08 PST 2021

Thank you Roger for your experience and insight.  First, this was not my provision; The lease came to me when client moved attorneys.  I am also not dealing the larger issues you have in your career.

The tenant is an elderly person who ran a coffee/knickknack shop in Landlord’s small mall.  Covid shut her down a ago.  However, being somewhat of a hoarder, the shop has a lot of junk in it.  Landlord, also elderly, let tenant stay as long as rent was paid, as tenant’s spouse was dying.  That’s happened.

The tenant will never reopen the coffee shop but still refuses to move. She’s tried to sell the business but is unreasonable in terms and has lost several interested buyers.  Landlord just wants to get the unit back.

I agree with you that tenant may not do anything if Landlord exercises the option.  She lacks both the money and desire to fight.   Landlord is also willing to store her stuff for a limited time for her to remove it.

I just wanted to find out if there is any case law on these self-help contract clauses.  Obviously, on the residential side I would never even think of putting such a provision in a lease.  But Courts seem to give commercial parties more leeway.

Jeff