[WSBARP] Release of Deed of Trust/Quiet Title?

Kary Krismer Krismer at comcast.net
Wed Feb 3 15:41:07 PST 2021

What we do know is that it is correct that the Chapter 7 doesn't
discharge the lien, just the personal liability on the note.  But the
note is where the payments derive from.  The deed of trust typically
merely refers to the timing of payments by reference to the note.  I
think neither my first email nor Edmundson's SOL analysis may be based
on bankruptcy law as much as state law. Simply put, it is a bit illusory
if not absurd to have a SOL analysis that refers to the due date of
payments that are no longer due!  I realize however that this would be
problematic on DOTs with notes that did not have acceleration clauses,
if there are any such things.

Turning to Edmundson, that decision may have a fundamental flaw prior to
the SOL discussion in that the bankruptcy in that case was a Chapter 13,
not a Chapter 7.  This is important because:  (1) The prior Bankruptcy
Code did allow a Chapter 13 debtor's plan to avoid a DOT lien if the
lien was entirely unsecured by any equity, as was often the case on
second loans; and (2) If a creditor had not objected to a confirmed plan
which did improperly provide for avoidance of the lien, then the lien
would still be avoided even if that avoidance wasn't allowed by the
facts if contested.  The first may have changed with the Bankruptcy Act
and the second may have changed through either the Act or case law.  I
haven't practiced bankruptcy over over 15 years now, and haven't kept up
on such things.  But it very well may be that a better understanding of
bankruptcy law and the facts of that underlying case could have kept the
court from needing to address the SOL issue.

Kary L. Krismer
206 723-2148