[WSBARP] Probat/Quiet Title

Eric Nelsen eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Wed Feb 3 09:27:02 PST 2021

House is in Spokane? If a probate is to be done, do it in Washington. I don't see a need for a California probate to deal with the real estate here.

If grandmother died more than 2 years ago, a title company might be willing to insure title based on an affidavit of no-probate executed by all the heirs at law-except, you have a missing heir.

So I think a probate is really the only way to go; the PR will have authority to sell the property and then appoint a statutory agent to hold the missing heir's share of residue per RCW 11.76.200 et seq.<https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.76.200>

Quiet title might work if the occupant has had sole and exclusive possession of the house for 10 years after grandmother died. Defendants would be the other heirs in that case. But that's a long process and the client can't purchase the property until the owner is confirmed. I think probate still sounds like the best route.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA 98144-3909
206-625-0092
eric at sayrelawoffices.com<mailto:eric at sayrelawoffices.com>

Covid-19 Update - All attorneys are working remotely during regular business hours and are available via email and by phone. Videoconferencing also is available. Signing of estate planning documents can be completed and will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Please direct mail and deliveries to the Seattle office.