[WSBARP] 90 Notice for grandson to occupy

Timothy Lehr timothy at stileslaw.com
Mon Dec 20 15:48:11 PST 2021

All,

I have a client that wishes to serve a 90-Day Notice to Vacate to a tenant due to the client's grandson intending to occupy the property. In looking at the definition of "immediate family" under 59.18.030(14) - the definition "includes" "grandparents" but does not specifically include "grandchildren." With as strict as the courts are interpreting the new Act, has anyone had trouble with arguing a grandchild is an immediate family member for purposes of this exception - especially given the fact that grandparents are included? Or do we chalk this up as "yet to be litigated" with all the new rules.

Also the word "includes" in (14) suggests to me the list is not exhaustive.

Thank you!

Timothy C. Lehr
Attorney at Law

[cid:image001.jpg at 01D7F5B8.F52AA800]

p:   360.855.0131
e:   timothy at stileslaw.com<mailto:timothy at stileslaw.com>
w:  www.stileslaw.com<http://www.stileslaw.com/>

NOTICE: The information contained in this email is proprietary and/or confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient of this communication, you are hereby notified to : (i) delete the email and all copies; (ii) not disclose, distribute or use the email in any manner; (iii) notify the sender immediately. Thank you.