[WSBARP] Setback issues

scott at scottgthomaslaw.com scott at scottgthomaslaw.com
Wed Dec 15 14:10:40 PST 2021

Depends on a variety of factors almost too numerous to list:

1.	How big is the mistake?  1’?  10’?
2.	Where is the structure at?  In a rural area where the closest
neighbor is ¼ mile away?  In a densely packed neighborhood with lots that
are 25’ wide?
3.	Did Kor have a permit, or was Kor trying to sneak something in?
4.	Are the neighbors complaining to the local government before the
discrepancy was discovered?  Are they complaining now?  Is anybody’s view
going to be impacted?
5.	Are there any public safety implications, such as inadequate room
for the fire department to lean a ladder against the wall and access a
bedroom window on the second story?  Will the wall be constructed so closely
to the property line that it will have to have protected (fire resistant)
openings or will the wall have to be constructed of some form of enhanced
fire resistant construction?
6.	How close to the property line will the roof overhang end up being?
Will there be room to hang Christmas lights?   Can Kor trim back the
overhang?  Many times the zoning code will allow an exception for an
overhang.
7.	Has the local government allowed a variance in the past under
similar circumstances?  They shouldn’t, but sometimes they will.  Ask the
planner.

This is a sampling of the factors that my planning clients have considered
in the past; it is by no means a comprehensive list.  Frequently it comes
down to how you ask.  Walking in to the planner’s office in person, hat in
hand, acknowledging a mistake, and asking the planner’s professional advice
about how it can be fixed will go a long ways toward minimizing costs and
disruption.  But I am sure you already know that.