[WSBARP] Real Property + Family Law

Boaz Weintraub bw at weintraub-law.com
Sat Dec 11 12:48:27 PST 2021

The court has a statutory duty to dispose of all property before it under
RCW 26.9.80. See Matter of Marriage of Sedlock,849.P.2d 1243 (Wash. Ct.
App. 1993) citing Shaffer vs. Shaffer. Courts have a duty not to award real
property as tenants in common unless the tenancy is for a short duration
and the spouse's interests are established.  It would be legal error to
award it to both as JTWROS in a divorce decree.
*--*
*Boaz "Bo" Weintraub*  | JD, LL.M.

Weintraub Law Office, PLLC

T *(425) 374-4045 <%28425%29%20374-4045>* |  F *(425) 274-7019
<%28425%29%20274-7019>*

www.weintraub-law.com  |  bw at weintraub-law.com

Bellevue Office: 14205 S.E. 36th Street, Suite 100, Bellevue, WA 98006

Bothell Office: 19125  Northcreek Parkway, Suite 120, Bothell,
Washington  98011

On Fri, Dec 10, 2021 at 4:10 PM Dwight Bickel <dwight at dwightbickel.com>
wrote:

> That soon to be divorced couple are making an error that I saw way too
> often. They will not enjoy all the problems inherent in tenancy-in-common,
> but with an additional risk. The attribute of survivorship is the likely
> motivation. They don’t understand about severance by either party, often
> unintentional. They should create a trust, holding title as co-trustees, so
> the trust terms cannot be changed and the expectation for the survivor to
> hold 100% is protected. Seriously, I wouldn’t let my clients make that
> error. I have seen post-divorce joint ownership work out well exactly never.
>

> Dwight A. Bickel
>
> Real Property Title Advisor
>
> Washington Title Professional
>
> Dwight at DwightBickel.com
>
> https:/dwightbickel.com
>
> 206-484-1976

IMPORTANT/CONFIDENTIAL: This e-mail and any attachments may contain
confidential information protected by the attorney-client privilege or
other privileges, and intended for use only by the intended recipient(s).
If you have received this e-mail in error, please do not read, reproduce or
distribute the contents, but rather, please immediately notify the sender,
delete the e-mail and destroy all copies of the e-mail and any attachments.
Unless otherwise expressly stated herein, any advice contained in this
e-mail (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used,
and cannot be used, for purposes of avoiding tax penalties that may be
imposed on any taxpayer.
Thank you.