[WSBARP] REET on Transfer from Corp to Sole Owner and Spouse

Inge Fordham inge at fordhamlegal.com
Thu Dec 9 17:40:04 PST 2021

Colleagues,

A client is refinancing a property that is presently titled in the name of a corporation the client owns (100%).  The client seeks to quit claim a property from the corporation to himself and his spouse.  However, I’m not sure this can be done in a single transaction without triggering excise tax on the 50% beneficial interest being transferred to the spouse.  I realize that we can claim exemptions on the transfer from the corporation to the client (a mere change in identity) and then from the client to the client and his spouse (for purposes of creating community property).  I’m trying to save him the cost of preparing and recording two separate quit claim deeds.  Is there any way to accomplish this in one exempt transaction?  (I’m also concerned that the auditor’s office will get testy if we claim two separate exemptions).

Thank you in advance,

[uc%3fexport=download&id=1W3rEcChy0_E0cCfV5up02mkhwnL6eWIs&revid=0B4P5JoIHdbFaR29EbHlRWHFseFV5STZpSUVGeUNPWldkVDFVPQ]
Inge A. Fordham | Attorney
Fordham Law, PLLC
3218 Sixth Avenue | Tacoma, WA 98406
Office: (253) 348-2657 | Mobile: (206) 778-3131
www.fordhamlegal.com<http://www.fordhamlegal.com>

Confidential Communication: This email is sent to a recipient on behalf of an attorney/law firm, and is information intended exclusively for the individual, entity or company to which it is sent.  This communication may contain proprietary, privileged or confidential information or may otherwise be legally exempt from disclosure other than to the intended recipient.  If you are not the named addressee, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or otherwise disseminate this message or any part of it.  If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by email or other communication and delete all copies of the message.