[WSBARP] Post-Divorce QCD Catch 22

Ryan P. Coon cole-gilday at stanwoodlaw.net
Mon Aug 2 16:31:07 PDT 2021

An update and some clarification on this.

First, the divorce decree was in a different county than the property at
issue. We looked first at the possibility of recording the divorce
decree. However, it appears that the divorce was done mostly, if not
entirely, pro se. As such, there are problems with the property
description (TPN has an error in it and for the "legal description" the
parties simply inserted the street address rather than the legal
descprition). Thus, the divorce decree, unless amended, wouldn't be
sufficient, even if recorded in the county where the property resides.
We could simply get a corrected order/decree but where the ex-spouse is
willing to sign a deed we were looking into just using a QCD to possibly
save time/money.

Second, the issue with taxes needing to be paid before a QCD is recorded
was reported by our client. We were caught off guard by this as well and
so we sent a query on this to the county treasurer. We just heard back
today that our client is NOT required to pay the taxes before being
allowed to record. Either our client misheard or misunderstood, or
something has changed since our clients initial inquiry.

Consequently, we're just going to record a QCD and cross our fingers
that recording goes smoothly. I'll post back to the list if it turns out
that our client really does need to pay any of the taxes before they can
record a deed. Thank you everyone for your input!

Very Truly Yours,

Ryan P. Coon

Law Office of Cole & Gilday, P.C.

//

10101 - 270th St. NW

Stanwood, WA 98292

(360) 629-2900 (Telephone)

(360) 629-0220 (Fax)

This message contains confidential and privileged information that is
intended only for the named recipient(s).Unless you are the named
recipient or authorized agent thereof, you are prohibited from reading,
copying, distributing or otherwise disseminating such information.If you
receive this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately.