[WSBARP] Yet another tax

Dwight Bickel dwight at dwightbickel.com
Thu Apr 29 18:26:08 PDT 2021

$200+ for the first page! Imagine if there are several sellers with separate deeds? And as long as the Ass'n of Realtors, the RPP&T Bar, and the WLTA continue to raise no objections to the surcharges that are proposed nearly every year increasing the costs upon their customers, it is likely that will continue to be the "go to" piggy bank. How much did we protest the huge increase in the real estate sales tax on high value transactions last year?

Multiple types of surcharges have been stacked. Sellers continue to pay a surcharge for homelessness relief. The surcharge "for recording infrastructure" was used for the general fund, not improvements. The service from the recording office this year has been below acceptable. Often documents are not getting recorded the same day! You would be shocked how little of the recording fee income is spent to maintain recording offices and personnel.

From: Craig Gourley
To: WSBA Real Property Listserv <wsbarp at lists.wsbarppt.com>

Listmates, I have just heard that a new bill is on the way to the governor's desk for signature.  SB 6279/ HB 1277.  They are imposing an additional $100 recording fee on all real estate documents.  Funds to be used for permanent renal assistance and eviction prevention.  When will it ever end? Real estate has become the states piggy bank.