[WSBARP] SB 5160 - HB 1236 - Statewide Just Cause

Rob Rowley rob at rowleylegal.com
Thu Apr 29 13:11:49 PDT 2021

I’m reissuing all 60 day notices as new 90 day notices except for the one
case where the 60 days lapsed the day before the new Act.  I immediately
filed the unlawful detainer for sale as a defensive measure to protect this
60 day notice.

I was surprised with no prohibitions on raising rent/fees after June 30. SB
5139 would have capped fees but never made it out of conference.  The
earliest you can give a sixty-day rent increase notice would be July 1.
Because most leases start on the first of the month a rent increase notice
issued on July 1 would only be effective on October 1.  In other words,
rent increases on month to month tenants would be issued effective October
1. [correct my math]

Lest we forget the Governor’s partial veto of funds to the landlords.

https://crmpublicwebservice.des.wa.gov/bats/attachment/vetomessage/1fa08b97-c4a3-eb11-81b2-005056ba1db5#page=1

Attorney Robert R Rowley

W: (509) 252-5074

M: (509) 994-1143