[WSBARP] Capital gain tax on gift of equity

Kary Krismer Krismer at comcast.net
Tue Apr 20 19:46:10 PDT 2021

I don't know how you make a gift of $20k of equity.  It needs to be a
percentage ownership in the property to be understandable if not
enforceable.  I presume the percentage would equal approximately $20,000
in value.

As others have explained, there's ordinarily no income tax due but the
grantee's basis would be the same as the grantor's basis.

So if Grantor had a piece of property worth $200,000 that they paid
$100,000 for, the grantor would grant a 10% interest in the property
(worth $20,000) and the grantee's basis would be $10,000.  If they later
sold for $25,000 they would have a $15,000 gain.

Not sure exactly how it would work if the property were encumbered.
Let's assume a $1,000,000 piece of property that the grantor paid
$500,000 for and owes $800,000, so that a 10% gift would still be worth
$20,000.  But the grantor's basis in that 10% would seemingly be worth
$50,000.  That makes less sense, because it would get around the gift
tax reporting limitations, and would cause me to contact a tax attorney.

Kary L. Krismer
206 723-2148