[WSBARP] who pays the tax on gain?

Kary Krismer Krismer at comcast.net
Sat Apr 10 18:00:33 PDT 2021

Why is the mother on title if she didn't contribute any funds? Was she
just co-signing on a loan or something?  If so, couldn't it be argued
her ownership interest is nominal?

Also it's unclear a bit because you started by referring to parents and
then only to the mother.  Are the mother and father's situations identical?

I would agree with the need to consult a tax attorney, both to resolve
any gift tax issues and any gain on sale issues.  But if the parents'
interest can be seen as just a nominal interest with minimal tax
consequences of any type, then it might be worth clearing up before
selling so the escrow doesn't face these issues.  If escrow handles the
deed I would assume they issue a 1099 to the all the grantors (which is
an assumed answer to one of your questions--I'm not certain).

Kary L. Krismer
206 723-2148