[WSBARP] Inheritance and adoption question

deborah at neillaw.com deborah at neillaw.com
Tue Apr 6 08:28:42 PDT 2021

Hello,

I know a lawfully adopted child is not considered the heir of their natural parents.  My question is does it matter when the adoption takes place?  If the child is adopted after the parent’s death, but before the probate is completed, can the child still inherit?  What if the child stands to become the beneficiary of annuity payments their deceased father was receiving?  Does a later adoption cut off their right to continue to receive the annuity payments?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Deborah Jameson
(Pronouns: she/her/hers)

Neil & Neil, P.S.
5302 Pacific Avenue
Tacoma, WA  98408
253-475-8600
253-473-5746 FAX

If your matter is urgent, please call my office.  Also, this message is not encrypted and it may not be secure or protected by attorney-client privilege.