[WSBARP] More Eviction Moratorium - Federal - Effective today

David R. Ambrose drambrose at ambroselaw.com
Wed Sep 2 12:56:31 PDT 2020

Timothy,

Perhaps not, but given the moratorium order imposes criminal penalties for violations, I expect this will have the desired effect on stopping residential evictions.

Text from the order:

“CRIMINAL PENALTIES:
Under 18 U.S.C. 3559, 3571; 42 U.S.C. 271; and 42 CFR
70.18, a person violating this Order may be subject to a
fine of no more than $100,000 if the violation does not
result in a death or one year in jail, or both, or a fine
of no more than $250,000 if the violation results in a
death or one year in jail, or both, or as otherwise
provided by law. An organization violating this Order may
be subject to a fine of no more than $200,000 per event if
the violation does not result in a death or $500,000 per
event if the violation results in a death or as otherwise
provided by law. The U.S. Department of Justice may
initiate court proceedings as appropriate seeking
imposition of these criminal penalties.

Regards,

David Ambrose
drambrose at ambroselaw.com